top of page

29 April 2023


1st XI 0-0 Richmond 1st XI

Location: Jubilee Park

Goals: 0

Match MVP: Joe Walton

Round 3 of the Men’s First Division saw Tahuna make the short trip to Richmond to take on the red and black’s, looking to build on a much improved display in Round 2.

Tahuna again going into battle with a depleted squad, missing Gary through sickness, Clem out for the season, and captain Josh only fit enough for a place on the bench.

Despite this, Tahuna started the game brightly, keeping possession well, moving the home side around and creating openings in either channel for IT and Will respectively. The early tempo and possession didn’t yield many clear openings or chances, but by far the best start to a game this year.

Tahuna continued to dominate possession as the first half progressed, creating half chances for Asher, Mackenzie and Will. Good scramble defence from the home side prevented the Tahuna boys from getting clear sightings on each occasion.

Richmond threatened intermittently, looking dangerous on second phase from set pieces, but never really troubled Seth, Matt or Joe at the back for Tahuna, who were well flanked by the tidy and composed Jamie on the left and the dogged, energetic Dan on the right.

Tahuna’s confidence continued to grow and a series of corners led to the best chance of the half. The ball broke on the edge of the box to MVP Joseph, who beat two down the left side of the area before reversing the ball to Ash, who between two defenders squeezed a low effort away. Unfortunately it was straight at the goalkeeper and the score remained 0-0 at HT.

Buoyed by their first half outing, Tahuna started the second half much the stronger of the two sides. Will and IT continued to menace the Richmond backline, but a themed of rushed passes, shots and decisions saw the away side unable to really test the home goalkeeper.

The pressure was piled on by Tahuna, despite losing Ash to injury, but the boys were unable to find a breakthrough. Snapshots to Jack, Jake and Will all failed to test the keeper. Richmond looking to stem the tide of Tahuna pressure made a double change. The stoppage and changes reenergised the home side and the home sides best spell of the game came across the next 15 minutes. Again, like Tahuna, the dominant side couldn’t create anything clear cut and failed to trouble Joe in the Tahuna net. A mixture of wasteful play and solid defensive work from the boys in blue kept the scores level.

The final 10 minutes saw Tahuna push for a winner, Captain for the day, Seth caused issues from a flurry of corners in the final few moments, and Jake had a late chance blocked before the ref blew the full time whistle.

In the end, a good point for Tahuna, but the boys were left slightly disappointed not to have won a game they were good value to have won. A clean sheet and a point was a good days work, though, and a great platform to build on performance wise.

Next up, reigning champs Blenheim at home. Up up!!


2nd XI 3-4 Nelson Suburbs FC U17 Academy

Location: Saxton Fields

Goals: Gus Cruz (2), Piter Zakariah (1)

Match MVP: Simon Petch

In a thrilling encounter at Saxtons Field, the youngsters from Nelson Suburbs' Academy staged an incredible comeback to beat Tahuna 2nd XI by 4 goals to 3 in the 2nd Division clash. Tahuna was looking to recover from two tough games against Karenni and Golden Bay, while Suburbs was seeking redemption after being hammered by Karenni last week. Tahuna's gameplan was shaken by the late withdrawals of Eric (covid), Tim (injured while reffing junior football in the morning), and James, who didn't show up at all.

Despite missing a few players, Tahuna started the match strong and dominated possession, while Suburbs tried to catch them on the break with their speed and intent. Piter, Gus, and Daz all had chances for Tahuna, but it was Gus who eventually broke the deadlock about 30 minutes into the game with a magnificent solo effort, turning a few defenders inside out before rifling the ball past the keeper into the bottom corner. Suburbs had a few chances of their own, but snatched at them. Their best chance of the half came following a poor clearance from Will in the Tahuna goal, leading to a bit of ping pong in the box before Garry was forced to make a crucial clearance off the line to keep Tahuna's lead intact. The first half ended with Tahuna leading 1-0, but they would be disappointed not to have scored more.

Tahuna knew that the game was far from over and that Suburbs would come out firing in the second half. However, almost directly from kick off, Suburbs' attack broke down, and Tahuna countered quickly, with Gus chipping the keeper to make it 2-0. Suburbs responded immediately, with their striker making a fantastic run through the defense to head in a delightful cross with the keeper in no man's land. However, Tahuna regrouped and continued to force Suburbs into mistakes and rushed clearances. Piter eventually got his reward, charging down a clearance that rebounded into the net to make it 3-1 and restore Tahuna's two-goal lead.

Tired legs and injuries started to take their toll on Tahuna, with Daz unable to continue due to a calf strain, Garry and Ed hobbling, and Geeza cramping up. Suburbs sensed an opportunity and scored a very dubious goal with their winger taking it to the byline and cutting it back, a mishit shot went straight back to their winger who was behind all the Tahuna players and it was bundled in. Somehow, the linesman's flag stayed down, and despite Tahuna's complaints, the referee allowed the goal to stand. The score was now 3-2, and Suburbs were right back in it.

On the up, Suburbs continued to attack at speed, with their young midfielder, Charlie, curling a fine shot into the top corner of the net to level the scores at 3-3. Tahuna was dead on their feet by this point, with no subs and no chance to rest, and the knowledge that they should have been out of sight in this game weighing heavily on their shoulders. Suburbs completed their unlikely comeback when a blocked shot spun into the bottom corner off the post to make it 4-3. Tahuna tried to regroup for the last five minutes, but they couldn't create a clear opportunity, and the game ended in a stunning victory for Suburbs.

Tahuna will be bitterly disappointed to have lost a game that they were in control of for the most part, with missed chances and fitness ultimately costing them. Thanks to the referees for keeping the game free-flowing, and credit to Suburbs' youngsters q , who showed no fear and were more than happy to put in a challenge.

Match Report by Will.


3rd XI 6-2 Nelson Suburbs Sky Blues

Location: Tahuna

Goals: Sayha (3), Pedro (3)

Match MVP: Kyle

Somehow they had the cheek to score first...totally not my fault, I had the shot covered....until someone got a toe on it and did me over on the near post. But to be honest it was like we didn't even noticed they'd scored. We just got on with our game and got control. Sayha scored first, then Pedro scored 2 penalties. They had a few breaks but were pretty easy to deal with and that's how the half finished 3-1.

Sky Blues scored within minutes of the kick off again making it 3-2. But again we just got on with our work and Sayha put another away. Later Pedro sealed the deal by putting another away to make it 5-2. Sayha scored again and by that time we were nearly home and dry with 3 points in the bank.

We were building some awesome fluid teamwork out there today. I think we are now getting used to our shape and how to use it to best effect. There are a lot of "if he goes I've got to cover" and "he got past his man I need to support him" vibes going on....awesome. It is a weird formation so thanks for sticking with it.

Awesome team effort, you worked hard, you stayed focused and you brought home the 3 points.

Big thanks to Ollie for being ref.

Match Report by Colin.


Tahuna 4th XI 1-3 Richmond Bogans

Location: Jubilee Park

Goals: Luke Rowbotham (1)

Match MVP: Bradley Jessop

With 6 points in their first 2 games of the season, the Pink Knights were ready to continue

their Manchester City-like dominance of the coveted Nelson 4th Division.

Saturday started with the heart-breaking news that Zach would no longer be the Pink

Knights goalkeeper…... for a game (and likely more), due to breaking and dislocating one of his

fingers in the first game of the season. This meant Dan was called up to try and fill some

rather large shoes.

The whistle blew and the lads were off to the races. Just like last week the midfield and

front three dominated the game. They controlled the ball well, always finding the open man

and pushing the ball up field nicely. This pressure continued for the first 15 minutes yet

never quite being able to create any real scoring opportunities. Then finally, Jonny (like

clockwork at this point) was away down the side-line (seriously this is Deja Vu at the point)

skipping past two defenders like a ballet dancer performing a Grande Jeté. He picked out

Luke in the box, with a beautiful pass, and Luke finished it nicely into the far corner. 1-0


The lads continued their pressure for the rest of the half. Macca and Glenn continued their

calm stronghold over the midfield and the lads up front kept putting on the pressure.

However, just like the start of the game, the Pick Knights struggled to turn their pressure

into goals and the Half-Time whistle blew before the lads were able to extend their lead.

After a quick speech about winning the 50/50s and how football is a simple game, the lads

were ready to get back on the pitch and extend their lead.

The Richmond team must also have heard this speech because they turned up the pressure

on the Pick Knights. Richmond dominated the next 10 minutes and had complete control of

possession. Soon enough their striker was at the edge of the Tahuna box. The ball fell to his

feet after a deflection and was volleyed beautifully into the Tahuna goal. 1-1. Not long after

Richmond were awarded a penalty due to a handball from Banic which was easily put away.

That’s two already this season Banic…

Few things in life are guaranteed; Death, Taxes, and Brad being unreasonably good at

football. Even though Richmond continued to dominate the next 20 minutes Brad made

sure every through ball didn't quite reach its man and that every corner was cleared away.

However, his defensive masterclass wasn't quite enough, and Richmond managed to score

once more before the full-time whistle blew. 3-1 Richmond.

Football is a simple game but also a ruthless one. Both teams dominated a half each, but

Richmond were able to convert their pressure into goals. Although no 3 points for the lads,

there was lot taken away from the game and the lads are using this loss as motivation.

Up! Up! Tahuna!

Match report by Daniel.


TFC Breakers 2-9 Mapua Cougars

Location: Tahuna

Goals: Shannon (1), Own Goal (1)

Match MVP: Marissa

On a beautiful Saturday, only a few hundred metres from Natureland the big cats came out to play. Look out young lads the Mapua Cougars were on the prowl in Tahuna. In stepped the TFC Breakers to put a stop to them and after many close games last season we were amped and rearing to go.

With a meow, screech, hiss and a roar the game kicked off with both teams hungry for the ball and the win. A bit of ping pong at first and a game going back and forth looked like it was anyone’s for the taking and could’ve gone either way. Despite holding off for at least a few minutes it wasn’t long before the quick, well-improved Cougars zig-zagged through all of us and hit the back of the net not one, not two, not even three but four times in quick succession. By then it was as if someone had pushed the mute button on the Breakers remote and the team stopped talking and kept running into their own team mates on the field. A much needed counter attack by the Breakers came shortly before half time and the quick-footed Shannon managed to get a few touches and cut through the central defenders to shoot and score the Breakers first goal of the season.

The team came off covered in sweat and a bit shocked at how this half had gone and the fact we were down four one to a team we are normally fairly evenly matched to. Back on we went to try and turn this game around and early own goal by the Cougars in second half made the game look a little more promising. Soon goals came a plenty for the Cougars and by then our defenders had exhausted. We didn’t give up though and the attackers made quite a few breakthroughs but couldn’t quite get through their backline.

The Cougars came off purring with their 9-2 win. Despite the loss the Breakers are really starting to come together as a team and had some great passes and time on the ball.

Player of the day went to our captain, Marissa, for putting 100% into the game, making great saves and her positive attitude throughout the game. She ran our warm up and is a massive supporter to all of us on and off the field. Great work Marissa, well-earned!

Match Report by Jenna.


107 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page