top of page

2 July 2022

Photos (as noted) by Ab's Snaps. For more match-day pics join the Facebook Group. To purchase photos or request your own photos at the next game contact Abbi Robinson.


1st XI 2-2 Nelson FC 1st XI

Location: Guppy Park

Goals: Josh Johnston, Fred 'Flash' Gordon

Match MVP: Fred 'Flash' Gordon

A tense affair at Guppy Park, unfortunately, ended level ahead of a busy week for the blue army. Both teams had plenty to gain from the match heading in, Tahuna looking to continue building towards title contention while FC were desperate for points to climb out of the relegation zone.

The match began with early controversy, a penalty awarded for handball in the box gave the ever reliable Josh Johnston the chance to secure the lead and, as always, the captain didn't disappoint. A cool finish and an even colder non-celebration, the little master all business when it comes to games against FC.

FC were delivered their own slice of fortune soon after, with a misplaced clearance landing in the hands of the keeper and somehow being deemed a back-pass. FC drew even from the resulting free kick from 6 yards out. Tahuna's defensive pressure almost bore fruit with Jack Keogan coming close late on, the angle proving too acute as his shot hit the post and then the corner flag. Scores tied 1-1 at oranges.

The second half saw Tahuna reverting to a mostly counter-punching style, the FC home side taking most of the possession. But no one came prepared for the unreal twist that came around the 70th minute. Fred 'Flash' Gordon, who only has one previous goal to his name in 6 years for Les Blues, stepped up to the plate and belted in a fabulous thunderbolt from 30+ yards. Not soon to be forgotten and certainly a shoo-in for goal of the year, league wide.

The jubilation on the sidelines soon turned to despair, however as the struggling FC were gifted another lifeline through a controversial penalty, awarded for an apparent self-trip by the FC striker. Matters weren't improved either by stalwart Will Matthews simultaneously being sent to the sin-bin at a critical time for disputing the call (Fun fact; Matthews being an avid Spurs fan complains that much all year, surprisingly it's the first time he's been carded for it though).

The great Joe Robertson left with little chance to keep the GD down from 12 yards, despite pulling out some stunning leaps and 1v1 stops all game.

Tahuna battled the late stages of the game with some promising attack and stoic defending, but the match finished a disappointing draw. TFC felt we should have won it on goal quality alone, but claiming 2 points from a struggling FC feels as good as a win some days. On to the next, hope to see a few brave supporters hit Wakefield on Wednesday night as the lads face league leaders Suburbs Juniors. Bring a blanket! UP UP!

Match report by Heyden.


2nd XI 0-0 FC Nelson Locomotive

Location: Neale Park

Match MVP: Will Murphy

Although they were missing a few first-team regulars through injury and COVID, Tahuna went into today’s game keen to carry the momentum gained in last week’s thumping 6-0 victory. FC Nelson Locomotive, however, were in no mood to let Tahuna repeat the result and set out to disrupt and break up their play from the off.

Chances were at a premium the last time these teams met and this occasion was no different, with first-half chances few and far between for Tahuna. Isaac Taylor went closest with a long-range effort sent curling towards the bottom corner, narrowly missing the target. Loco are a well-organised team and pressed well, forcing Tahuna into mistakes and not allowing them to get into their rhythm, which was further disrupted when striker Darryn Fitzgerald was forced off midway through the half due to injury. Loco settled into the game, defending well and played some nice football, moving the ball around their defence and midfield before looking for their wingers to chase balls knocked into the channels. This was pretty effective and they came close to scoring when their striker beat the offside trap and got a shot away which was saved by Tahuna keeper Will Murphy, with the rebound cleared by Garry Clarke who did well to get back and cover. Shortly after Loco got in again, a well-timed run onto a through ball released their winger down the left who knocked a great cross into the danger area but the finish by their striker was lacking, skied over when he really should have scored.

A few strong words at half-time from the coach, Geeza Harding, saw Tahuna come out reinvigorated and playing with a bit more dynamism in the second 45, stringing together some good passing moves and creating a number of chances. The best of these fell to winger Dan Smith who got onto the end of a loose ball in the box and smashed a powerful rising shot towards the top corner but put it on the wrong side of the upright. Loco remained solid and stayed true to their style of passing out of defence before releasing their forward players down the channels. Their right winger played through one on one with Murphy who saved well with a strong left hand. Loco were starting to find pockets of space in midfield as the game became more open, but the Tahuna defence remained solid. Garry Clarke, who was a rock at the back today will feel aggrieved to have picked up a soft yellow card for his efforts when repelling another promising Loco attack. Shortly after, Loco looked to have finally found the breakthrough when they were awarded a penalty for a foul in the box while defending a corner, Ed ‘The Doc” Johnson with a surgically precise two-handed shove in the back. Fortunately for Ed, Will guessed correct and dived to his left, saving the penalty and keeping Tahuna in with a shout of getting more than a point from this game. The visitors put increased pressure on a tiring Loco team, and almost found a winner when a slightly scuffed half-volley looped up and was dipping below the crossbar only to be denied by a fine save by the Loco keeper.

Despite the chances, neither team could find a winning goal, and all in all, it was a well-earned draw against a strong Loco team that featured several new players secured from their second division team that had folded the night prior. The result means that Tahuna is still unbeaten this season, staying top of the league on goal difference ahead of Seals, with Loco now in third.

Match report by Will.


4th XI 5-1 FC Nelson

Location: Tahuna Reserve

Goals: Thomas Holand (2), Steve Woodfine, Kyle Borlase, Keris Lilo

Match MVP: Steve (Woody) Woodfine

Yes you read that correctly, the 4ths recorded their best result for a couple of years with a thumping win over FC Nelson.

The game started with both teams gathering around the centre circle for a minute's silence in memory of one of Nelson's footballing family, Trevor Thompson, who passed away during the week.

Once the game started it was all action early on as both teams got on the score sheet early in the game. We took the lead in the 2nd/3rd minute when a cross-field ball from Alistair found Thomas running into the box and he took one touch to control before slipping the ball past their keeper for a great start to the game. To their credit, FC shot back almost immediately when a smart strike from outside the box managed to squeeze past Ollie and into the far corner. All square and game on. The next 15 to 20 minutes were probably FC's best period of the game, as they managed to retain a bit of possession, creating a couple of opportunities. With about 15 minutes to go in the first half, we got a corner and our corners to this stage had been very ordinary to say the least. A near post delivery from Glenn was met by Woody who headed it past the keeper, cracking header. 2-1 to the lads and that's how it stayed until halftime.

While the boys were buzzing at halftime, it was important to stress that we had won nothing yet, keep our feet on the ground and keep working hard. Do that and we would get a result.

Second half saw us totally dominate the game as the defence gave away nothing and the midfield worked their socks off. A clean sheet second half would see us win but we didn't settle for that. Kyle put us 3-1 up when he finished nicely, running onto a sweet pass from Glenn. Late in the game goals from Thomas, his second and Keris sealed a memorable victory. The goal celebration from Keris was one to behold and just a shame we didn't have it on video as it would surely be a Tik Tok sensation, for all the wrong reasons.

To everyone on the team, well done. A complete team performance with everyone contributing to the cause. We have worked hard for this result all season and with games to come against the teams around us, we need to look at finishing the season strongly.

MOM - Woody (Cracking goal and one for his old team mate, Trev)

Up Up Tahuna!

Match report by Pete.


Breakers 1-2 Motueka Angels

Location: Tahuna Reserve

Goals: Jenna Lyall

Match MVP: Ruth Steele

This weekend saw the Breakers taking to the sunny front lawn of the train station, but with some of us still feeling the after-effects of last weekend's match, a few changes to the lineup were needed. Thus, putting her rugby skills to use, Keryn took the gloves for the day and bravely guarded the net.

The Breakers had an absolute cracker of a start to the game, keeping the play towards Motueka's end of the pitch and the ball well away from our own goal. Defence remained strong and I started to think we might not get much of a debut from Keryn, who was left to do star jumps between the posts to stay alert - this later paid off when she made a stunner of a save, a long arching ball that seemed sure to be an awkward catch proved to be no problem for our ex-rugby star.

A number of shots were fired at the Angel's goal, but all were denied by some great saves. Mot then mounted the attack, their keeper drop-kicked a whopper up and over our heads, and we were out-sprinted by an Angel who managed to just chip it into our net. 1-0.

But that didn't slow the Breakers down. Statistically, we'd created so many opportunities and had several shots, so one was sure to land soon! And it did, with Alysha running it up the line, past a series of defenders and taking a shot, which rebounded off the goalie before a well placed left foot belonging to Jenna finished it off. Fantastic follow through, and a well deserved levelling goal to take the team into halftime with the score at 1 - 1. The Breakers still had plenty of steam left in the engine!

The second half the TFC girls were totally in charge. The Breakers knew they had to dig deep and secure another. At some stage during the 2nd half, a battered and broken Anita defended her ribs with her hand, earning the Angel's a free kick within scoring range, which was beautifully saved by Keryn. Another potential goal was well defended by Hazel who swooped in from the shadows, and safely cleared it away. The Breakers attacked Mots goal again and again (how we didn't manage to score another, I really don't know... actually their keeper did alright so probably kudos to her) but what did happen was a very slo-mo-oh-no with about 10 minutes to go-oh (woah). Mot saw an opportunity, gapped it, shot, and sunk it, leaving the final score sitting at 2 - 1 to the Motueka Angel's.

Player of the day went to Ruth, who normally hangs out on the wing, but was thrust into the spotlight of the midfield and commanded it like a boss. All those years as a teacher and a mum clearly prepared you to have stuff thrown at you from all angles!

Tit of the day went to Sophie for refusing to sub off while keeled over on the pitch in pain. If looks could kill haha!

Cheers to Houst and Luke for reffing, to the supporters (some new faces this weekend!) and to the Angel's for another great game. See you next time for the tie-breaker!

Match Report by Bob.


109 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page