top of page

25 May 2024

Division 3: Sprig + Fern Tahuna 3rd XI Division 4:

Women's Premiership: Sprig + Fern Tahuna Breakers Masters Football: Sprig + Fern Tahuna Masters


1st XI 1-1 Richmond FC

Location: Tahunanui S1

Goals: Mackenzie

Match MVP: Joseph Walton Saturday 25th May 2024 will forever be remembered in the footballing world as the day that Manchester United overcame the might of a 115 times corrupt machine. Up the reds!! In the earlier kick off, however, it was the blues of Tahuna taking on the visiting red of Richmond. Neither side had produced a win so far this season, so a chance for one of them to make a statement. 

The teams met in pre-season with Tahuna taking home a 2-1 win on that day.

Unfortunately for the boys from the beach, Viktor was a late withdrawal having been called into work, meaning a reshuffling of the starting team. The home side did welcome back Heyds, Ash, Jamie, Mackenzie following unavailability through illness and injury respectively. 

Despite having a host of players return, it was the visiting side who started the game sharpest, looking dangerous early on through the right channel and crafting a couple of neat moves that stretched the TFC backline. Joe remained untested, though, as the home side grew into the opening exchanges. 

Captain Seth saw a shot blocked after he had found a pocket of space on the back of a nice combination between Danny and Riku. The resulting series of corners saw firstly James head just wide at the back post, before Cam blasted an effort toward goal that was stopped by a flurry of bodies as Richmond scrambled clear. 

The home side had the better of the next 10 or 15 minutes, seeing shots blocked, and crosses stopped before Cam earned a free kick on the edge of the area.

Connecting nicely with Danny, Cam drop his shoulder before rounding his marker who had no option but to bring sythe him down. The last man lucky to escape any further punishment despite the ball heading toward the channel and not directly toward goal. 

From the resultant free kick, Jepo fired an effort goalbound which was heading for the far corner before being blocked by the combination of an arm the midriff of a covering defender. No penalty despite loud appeals.

Richmond remained a threat on the counter and went closest to opening the scoring in the first half, getting in behind on their ever dangerous right flank. The ball never really fell for the attacking side, though and under pressure from the covering James, and closed down by the onrushing Joe, the Richmond player could only kiss the topside of crossbar with an attempted lob.

At half time, the scores remained deadlocked and both teams went into the sheds fairly pleased but also knowing they could of had more for their efforts.

The home side made a change at the break, Ash brought on to replace Cam, who isn’t fully fit having missed much of the season so far with shin splints. 

Again, the visitors settled quickest into the rhythm of the game and penned the home side back. Struggling to connect passes and sluggish on transition, the home side were made to pay 10 minutes into the second period. 

A throw in on the right flank, again, saw a ball flicked in behind. The speed of the striker in red too much for a back tracking IT and the covering efforts of James and Jepo. Despite the tight angle and bouncing ball, the red number 7 powered a brilliant curling effort into the top corner to give his side the lead. 

Unlike when United took the lead over the evil of the footballing world at Wembley, this goal was greeted with far less joy from the supporters in attendance. 

Richmond rocked the boys from the beach and the next 5/10 minutes at KFC park saw the home side defend to keep themselves in the game as attack after attack was repelled by blocks, tackles and interceptions. A world class save from Joe, who flying high to his left clawed at a swerving free kick to keep the deficit to one. 

The blues then made two changes, Captain Seth withdrawn as he continues to recover from an Achilles injury, and Riku who’s tireless running earnt him an early shower. Macca returned and the home side changed shape - 3-5-2 - in search of an equaliser in the final 25 minutes.

The changes and the acrobatics of Joe seemed to boost the home side, as they finally settled into a bit of a rhythm. The extra body up top causing the Richmond defence some problems, and the extra number in the middle allowing the boys to progress the ball and flip the pressure on the away side. 

Efforts from Heyds, Ash, Danny and Macca were all saved or blocked as the lads looked to level the scores. As time ticked on and frustrations grew, it looked as though the score would remain as it had since the 55th minute. 

A flurry of corners and free kicks, expertly whipped in by IT, saw more dogged defending before FINALLY, Macca managed to slide one into the bottom corner on the rebound after a couple of shots had been blocked. 1-1 with 8 minutes to play - GAME ON.

The home side looked to find a winner and came close when Heyds had an effort, from another corner, blocked on the line with the keeper beaten. The last few minutes became increasingly transitional, neither side happy to settle for a point, but neither able to find another breakthrough.

The Richmond keeper pulled off one final save, imitating the heroics of Joe from earlier, flying high to tip a brilliant, curling, top corner bound effort, wide. 1-1 the final score, a draw probably a fair reflection of the game but both sides will feel like they could have or perhaps should have taken all three. 

Stand out performances from Joe with a couple of brilliant saves and some great distribution and Jamie Floyd, who’s return to the side was noticed with an assured performance at full back. Special mention to James who played his last game before heading back to blighty. We look forward to getting you back in a few weeks time. 

MOTM though, Joseph Walton for a mammoth effort in the middle of the park, always available to receive the ball, always there to get a toe in. Next up, TFC go into cup week, welcoming Karenni to KFC Park next Saturday. Match Report by Matt Jepson


2nd XI 3-1 FC Nelson NMIT

Location: Tahunanui S1


Match MVP:

Match report to come.


3rd XI 2-2 Richmond FC Thistle

Location: Tahunanui S2


Match MVP: Tom Dunn The 3rds pulled up against a maturing team of younger lads from the Richmond Thistle. The Thistle brought the heat from the outset and brought on a physical game. Thistle was the first to get on the score board, and it was a bit of a wake up call from our lads. Credit to the Thistles, they kept the hammer down and didn't let us play nice footy.

Blessings got a tidy goal and drew the scoreline up 1-1. We also had impact player, Binh come help the lads out after putting down the tools from a hard morning's mahi to put an absolute belter across from the sideline and send it into the side of the net and 3rds with it into the lead 2-1. 5 mins to go, the 3rds were happy campers with the taste of victory on our tongues. However, Thistle never let the throttle off and came in hot into our box. Keeper Tom had made several beautiful saves throughout the game, but after being over a couple of consecutive in the box with no one clearing the rebounds, the Thistles drew the game 2-2 with the final whistle coming minutes after. Always a pleasure playing against a Richmond team, and the Thistle didn't disappoint. Both sides played well and a draw was probably the right result despite no team ever being happy with it. Man of the Match went to Tom for his calm demeanor and skillful plays keeping the scoreline down against some young and fast legs! Back to the drawing board for the 3rds, as we look forward to facing the Thistle again this weekend for the Cup game.

Match report by Rhys Black.


Tahuna 4th XI 0-3

Location: Saxton Field S2


Match MVP:


Match report to come.


TFC Breakers 0-1 Suburbs FC Swans

Location: Saxton Field S2


Match MVP: Hannah Bibby

As the Breakers made their way to the home ground of the Swans, we always knew this was going to be a demanding and physical game. The team arrived early to discuss tactics and game plans. Unfortunately, we lost the toss and started with the chilly wind and sun behind our backs.

From the first whistle the Breakers made their presence known to the Swans, by dominating the Swans half with relentless advances on their goal line. The first test on the Swans Goalie came in the first 10 mins, with a powerful shot from EJ to only be stopped by the goalie.

The Swans reciprocated with an attack on our goal, after a runaway attack on our defence and a one-on-one challenge on Arin in goal. This was one of many attempts on our goal and Arin produced one of many saves. Arin showed her skill with an amazing safe by punching the ball over the net when the Swans took a penalty shot from the edge of the 18-yard box.

The Swans saw the dominance of our plays and formed a 9-person defence line to prevent us from getting a clear shot at goal. With long runs from Ruby, EJ, and Hannah saw many a good cross into our waiting strikers, unfortunately the Swans goalie was always in the right place to defend our attempts at goal.

Both Sophie and Sayaka used their magic footwork to weave in and out of the defensive line to keep the Swans on their toes.

The game was littered with many penalties and corners that saw Hannah putting the ball across the goal face with every kick from the corner. Miho and Hannah also held strong in the midfield to ensure the back-and-forth struggle in the second half kept the score at 0-1.

With Hannahs amazing boot and field coverage to stay in the game, earned her the MVP for the game.

The score did not reflect the game and the amazing team performance that kept the score to only 1 point.  I am proud of how the ladies played and the ability to keep their professionalism during a physical game and some different referee decisions.

Very proud Coach. Match report by Cris Phelan.


TFC Masters 3-2 Motueka FC Masters

Location: Memorial Park

Goals: Kevin, Daz 2

Match MVP:

Another 3 points in the bag. Another game of two halves. We got into them from the whistle, and put them under pressure. We forced a penalty 10/15mins into the half which Kev put away. Despite having them on the back foot, they got a break and scored but we scored again 10 mins later, there was a scramble on the 18 yard line and I got the ball with my back to goal and layed it back for Kev, not sure if he got a touch on it but Daz just ran through and smashed it....2-1. Then 10 mins later I picked up the ball 25m out and chipped it into the box and Daz ran onto it and took it round the keeper to make it 3-1.

We played a solid half and kept their chances to a minimum. We were pretty calm on the ball and not making mistakes and 3-1 up. The second half was a different story, They started attacking us down the wings and were using their fast guys to get at us. I'm not sure if that rattled us a bit.....but we seemed to lose the calm and made mistakes, rushing play, shabby passes. bad positioning and our shape was getting wobbly. I'm not saying we were playing badly just these were contributing factors for not owning it like the first half. They scored another to make it 3-2 and from there it went from one end to the other. Dave Horncastle came very close but the keeper palmed his header over the bar. We created chances but weren't as sharp as we were in the first half, but we were organised enough to see the game out and bag the 3 points........and no major injuries.........great job. Still undefeated, joint top on 17 points with Mapua and Suburbs. Match report by Colin Chapman.


179 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page