top of page

13 April 2024

Division 3: Sprig + Fern Tahuna 3rd XI Division 4:

Women's Premiership: Sprig + Fern Tahuna Breakers Masters Football: Sprig + Fern Tahuna Masters


1st XI 0-3 FC Nelson 1st XI

Location: Guppy Park


Match MVP: Kieron Crossan The Men’s First Division side were handed the toughest possible assignment to open up their season, with a trip to reigning champions and 2023’s only undefeated side, FC Nelson.  Lining up with three debutants in James, Viktor and Kieron, alongside 3 returning heroes from times past, Tahuna looked to start the season off on a positive note having set ourselves some lofty goals for the year.  The game got underway in surprisingly perfect conditions considering the weather throughout the week. FC started brightest, in a frantic opening quarter of an hour, breaking quickly out wide and knocking a number of crosses into the box without really troubling Joe in the TFC net. The boys in blue threatened from a few set pieces, with IT, the returning Danny Hampton and our resident Viking, Viktor, winning every aerial duel. The first real chance of the day fell to the home side though, exploiting space behind the excellent, marauding Danny Ross, before switching the ball to the left. A cut back from the byline found an unmarked FC shirt, the goalbound effort blocked by the brilliant covering lunge of James.  This sparked a period of pressure from the home side, a flurry of free kicks around the box and corners ultimately resulted in nothing, with a dogged blue shirt always there to sniff out the danger.  The boys remained a threat on the breakaway, Kieron and IT both causing problems and Danny hassling the keeper and central defenders, still though, the ball wouldn’t quite drop and the scores remained deadlocked. Tahuna did steal the momentum after about half an hour, stringing a couple of phases together, Viktor and Heyden flashing shots just wide, before a goal mouth scramble from an excellently deliver IT corner kick. The momentum culminated and a second phase cross, and a big mid-air collision between Danny Ross, high from RB, and the FC GK. Danny taking a heavy blow to the family jewels, but able to continue. The break in play interrupted the momentum and flow TFC had put together and FC ended the half on the front foot, frustrations grew for the boys with some relentless pressure. A flurry of yellow cards the result, and a stern warning from the referee. The first half ended goalless, the tied score reflecting a well-fought first half where neither side gave an inch. The boys spoke about continuing to compete for everything, in the sheds at the break, and trying to capitalize on any defensive errors or lapses when they eventuated. Buoyed by our set piece dominance, we also spoke of the need to stick one in the net whilst on top.  And it was on top that the lads started the second half. The opening 15 minutes was all Tahuna. FC, for the first time decided not to press high, allowing Tahuna the opportunity and freedom to build up through the thirds. Kieron, Heyden, Viktor and Danny all had shots blocked, deflected or narrowly fizz wide, before on the hour mark, another IT corner kick caused havoc in the FC box. A TFC head met the initial ball, only for the flick on to be parried out to the edge by the FC goalkeeper. Heyden, on the volley drilled the ball back toward goal, clattering into the inside base of the far post. The rebound ricocheted off of a defender before landing at the feet of James, his effort blocked by a last-ditch tackle. The ball spun out to Jamie but never sat down to allow a shot and FC managed to scramble the ball clear. On the next attack, more confusion in the FC penalty area resulted in a strong appeal for a penalty as the ball appeared to strike an FC arm. The ref waved play on despite the appeals. The boys had settled into the half nicely, and were comfortable despite being unable to open the scoring.  Both sides made changes at the hour mark, Danny Ross and Jamie ended mammoth shifts at full back, replaced by the returning skipper, Seth and Ash. Mackenzie also took the field in place of Heyden.  The game lulled after the changes, both teams looking to regain some ascendancy following the reshuffle. Unfortunately for us, Lady Luck who had avoided us in front of goal, spun the game on its head in the 78th minute.  Following a patient build up, FC worked the ball out to the right flank. A neat one two gave them some space on that side of the box, before the young striker’s attempted cross, sliced and floated toward goal. The cross drifted under the upright nestling into the stantion of the net at the back post. A cruel slice of luck for the away side.  The goal took the wind out of the Tahuna sails, and a minute of madness saw the team reduced to 10-men, when Viktor was shown a second yellow for dissent, in a case of mistaken identity. Almost immediately from this break in play, FC drove a diagonal ball into the area, initially won by James in the air, only for the ball to bounce kindly to an oncoming black shirt, beating three Tahuna defenders to the ball to volley home a 2nd.  The final 10 minutes saw the boys up against it, a lot of defending, tired legs, sore bodies and the man disadvantage saw a number of chances fall to the home side to extend their lead. The Tahuna shirts continued to put their bodies on the line but were unable to stop FC extending their lead further. As regulation time ticked over, another neat one-two on the edge of the box left space exposed in the left-hand channel of the box, the striker’s powerful effort wrongfooting Joe, who despite getting a hand to it, couldn’t stop it hitting the back of the net.  A game that had promised so much ultimately ended in disappointment for the Tahuna boys, but there are plenty of positives to take away and build on before we welcome Golden Bay for our first home game of the season next week.  Difficult to pick a man of the match because there were so many gritty performances. Final nod went to Kieron, for a strong debut performance, lung busting running, full blooded tackling and tireless effort.  Match Report by Matt.


2nd XI 6-1 Mapua Mens

Location: Tahunanui S1


Match MVP: Simon Petch

The rain stopped, the clouds broke, and the sun came out at Sprig and fern Tahuna arena or S1 (whatever you want to call it). A much-changed TFC 2nd team got ready to face newly promoted Mapua, a team the current squad hadn't played before. As a few of us older lads (Gary) dragged our already aching bones across to warm up it was a happy sight to see most of the Mapua team hadn’t started to shave yet. Non the less it was a great start to the game for us 3 nil up at half time. Some quality finishing by our forward line and the coolest of penalty’s by Petchy. Not to mention one of the best slide challenges I’ve ever seen by Seth Watson. Rumor is he got all the way to guppy for his next game like that. Second half we had to make a few changes and lost our shape for a bit and deservedly conceded on the break. After some genius tactic changes from the coach (give that man a medal) our forward line bagged themselves another 3 goals to bring their tally up to 5 on the day. We saw the game out with style. Safe hands joe will be gutted not to have kept a clean sheet after a dominant display between the sticks. Big shout out to the young lads playing the first official TFC game both played very well. Gary and Petchy were rocks in the middle. Match report by Sam.


3rd XI 0-7 Suburbs FC Rovers

Location: Ngawhatu


Match MVP:

Match report to follow.


Tahuna 4th XI 4-1 Wakefield 2nd XI

Location: Tahunanui S2

Goals: Jonny Corry 2, Jack Cooper 1, Kyle Borlase 1

Match MVP: Jack Cooper

After days of rain surprisingly the sun was shining by the time our first game of the season got underway. The grass was greener than it had been all year, and the 4ths were ready to start their season off with a big win.

The first half was a showcase of the potential this mostly new team has. Tahuna dominated possession with the backline and midfield, moving the ball around and up the field. Passes out to our wingers Jonny and Keris put the Wakefield defense under almost constant pressure but were unfortunate not to convert any of this pressure into goals. The backline had no trouble shutting down any attempts made by our opposition to move the ball towards our goal.

The second half got off to a perfect start with Tahuna forcing an early corner, with new recruit Jack delivering the ball straight to Kyle who headed into the back of the net to put us into the lead. Not long after, Jack got onto the end of a loose ball just outside the box and sent it screaming towards goal, giving the Wakefield keeper no chance, and doubling our lead. A goal of the season contender. Wakefield had an opportunity to get one back after chipping Phan with a long shot only for it to hit the crossbar to the relief of the home team and their admirers.

An unfortunate goalkeeping error by Phan put Wakefield on the scoreboard and gave them hope that they could make a comeback. However, Jonny put that hope, and the game to bed by scoring two more goals. Not long after, the full-time whistle was blown.

Immense effort from everyone for playing the whole 90 minutes as we didn't have any uninjured subs. Big shoutout to Justin for being kitted up as an emergency sub even though he has two snapped ligaments in his ankle.

MOTM honors went to Jack for his constant presence in the midfield and scoring an absolute banger of a goal.


Match report by Zach.


TFC Breakers 0-7 Richmond Foxes

Location: Tahunanui S2


Match MVP: Hannah Bibby

Our first game of 2024 featuring; a bunch of new teammates, a new coach, Sophie's youngest and Garry from Masters. With a lot of players new to the team and a new coach who just started two weeks ago the TFC Breakers were very excited to step onto the field for their first game of the season. We knew this was going to be a tough game as we faced the Richmond Foxes who have been the top team in the women's division for many years running. The game started well and the ball stayed very much in the middle of the muddy field for most of first half going back and forward between both teams. The Breakers got a good few breakaway moments and Ruby got a nice run and made it 15m from the goal but unfortunately just couldn't get it to our strikers. A hand ball by one of the Foxes gave us a penalty kick, it went towards the goal with good power, bounced back off a player, was sent back in but we were offside. 10 mins out from half time the Foxes got a breakthrough and scored. Being 0-1 down to the Foxes at half time was a great result for Tahuna. Second half was about to kick off but potential new recruit Garry Clarke decided to take a stroll across the field and see how he felt to be part of the team. Once he was off the second half began. Tired legs got the better of us in the second half and despite a lot of catches by our keeper, Arin including an epic save from a corner. The goals started coming. One, then another, then WAIT who's that little guy keen to join the team? Sophie's three-year-old had made it 20m onto the field in his mum's direction before anyone noticed and a fast-acting player ran and helped him off. Perhaps he was trying to give us some of his speed. Back to the game, Hannah made a good run towards their goal but unfortunately Ruth was offside so it got shut down. The goals kept coming down the wings against us. Despite 6 goals against us in the second half the team all worked extremely hard for the full 90 minutes and came off sweating. You should be proud at how hard you worked today ladies. No one gave up. A special thanks to those who came down to watch. A massive warm welcome to all the new players who have joined our team this season and our new coach Cris. We hope you love our awesome team in our brilliant club and Tahuna FC soon feels like your second family too. Match report by Jenna.


TFC Masters 5-3 Wakefield Masters

Location: Wakefield Domain

Goals: Kevin Cooper 1, Garry Clarke 2, Colin Chapman 1, Dave Horncastle 1

Match MVP: Oliver Tissington

Good day for the strikers, they all scored. We got into them from the kickoff and within 15 mins or so we were 3-0 up. We were playing at our pace (bit faster than zimmer frame) and were comfortable. Gaz got the first 2 assisted by Thomas and Kev and Kev got the 3rd assisted by........(insert name here, what! you think my memory would get better as I get older). We replaced the whole front line with 15 to go in the half and we went off the boil a bit and let them back into the game and I think we finished the half 3-1. We came out strong in the second half and created chance after chance but couldn't find the net and despite that they scored another to make it 3-2. It was critical we got the next goal. It got a bit scrappy as the half passed, but we kept the pressure up. Then someone found me with a through ball and I got into the penalty area then got taken out and given a penalty. I looked around and no one wanted to take it. So I put the ball on the spot and thought I'll place it in the corner, but smashed it very close to the keeper who couldn't get down quick enough so it bounced off his hand and leg and went in. Some said it was a shit penalty....any penalty that hits the back of the net is perfect ay Gaz. That gave us back our 2 goal cushion. But they weren't going to roll over and pegged us back another to make it 4-3. Normally this is where teams get a bit twitchy, but we stuck to our game plan and despite having legs like concrete we nutted it out. Eventually I managed to put Dave Horncastle through on goal and he tucked it away to make it 5-3 with about 10 mins to go..........job done, 3 points in the bag. Things of note....Kev fell over and scored with the back of his head, (his words not mine) Gaz got 2....nuff said, me n Dave got 1 each. Our tactical execution was good for a first game and everyone put in a good shift and did their job. Ollie did some awesome 1 on 1 work to stop them scoring several times. Wakeys 3rd goal should have been disallowed as Ollie palmed it onto the cross bar from a free kick and it hit the rugby post and drooped to their striker who nodded it in.(Wakey have rugby posts welded to the top of the footy goals). Great to see some old faces back in the club and lovin it, and only 1 little injury (Jeff tweaked his ankle). Looking good for the season with a few players coming back. Player of the Day Ollie for some great keeping.

Match report by Colin.


81 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page